What I do.

I'm not really interested in working with Word Press. When I took over the Word Press sites for the local nonprofit Our Aberdeen, they had existed for years and there were zero traffic records. I asked to move the sites to Blogspot.

Blogspot automatically includes essentials like traffic stats and it's secure. In Word Press, many functions -- like traffic logs -- can be added via third party plugins, but this is a potential means to inject malware.

I don't really want to try to stay up on security issues with Word Press plugins while making low-cost sites for small businesses. I also felt Word Press was generally clunkier than Blogspot the last time I dealt with it. It had issues like the header taking up too much valuable real estate above the fold (in the space visible on the screen when you click into the site).

I only work with the four most recent Blogspot templates because those are all mobile optimized. Their older templates are not mobile optimized, so they don't play well on a phone.

These days, most website traffic is from phones and this is probably more relevant in cases of someone trying to find your establishment. They are probably on a phone in a vehicle.

This doesn't mean all my sites look alike. I have thirty-some-odd blogs and you can view them to see that they rarely look alike. There's a list on my Blogger profile.

I've been blogging for about twenty-five years and doing Blogspot sites since 2012 and I continue to learn new ways to tweak things in Blogspot. I know some HTML and CSS which is pertinent to customizing the templates in important ways. 

I have also had a class in journalism and other writing instruction, world-class education in GIS, which includes design education of information and presentation for an online environment and, for the five years I worked at the Fortune 500 company Aflac, I was routinely exposed to the award-winning work of their wholly own subsidiary Communicorp.

Aflac is as successful as it is in part because many years ago they decided that letters, brochures and similar were so essential to their business they needed their own means to manufacture such to keep control of the quality. They didn't just make a department for it. They made a second company that handles all of their design and print work and also does works for hire for other clients.

You probably can't get the same level of quality just doing it yourself without similar experience and coding skills.

Some of that experience is specific to familiarity with the Blogger interface, but some generalizes for websites or Internet presence for any small shop. Although I don't really want to work on Word Press, I can and I'm not averse to learning new technical environments, like Wix or Square Space.

Comments

Popular Posts