Small Business Websites
I currently have thirty-some-odd blogs. I do all design work and content creation for them. With rare exceptions that are clearly annotated, all the writing is my original writing without use of AI.
For some years, I worked for an online writing service and much of what I was paid to produce was copy for small business websites. I also occasionally did resume work.
While living in a small town, I briefly tried to establish myself as a local affordable option for website work. These sites are no longer maintained, but these are works for hire from that time:
Small businesses frequently lack a proper website. Many have a Facebook page or similar as their primary Internet presence.
Facebook and similar services are not truly public. If you do not have an account, you can only see part of what is there. Local online publications are also typically paywalled and not really freely available to the public.
Services like Facebook are walled gardens and they limit public access, but they are often more comfortable for the owners of local businesses because you don't really have to think about things like design work.
There are myriad website hosting services, such as Wix and Square Space, and they frequently have a free option to help you get started. They also typically offer various templates to help make it plug-and-play and user friendly.
This doesn't fully solve the problem that local business owners are typically not adequately tech savvy to comfortably and effectively handle their own Internet presence. Meanwhile, design firms and professional programmers typically are too expensive and may not be familiar with the business needs of small businesses.
If you want a truly public web presence, you need your own website. If you need help with doing that properly on a budget without making it into a headache you have no hope of maintaining yourself, I'm for hire.
Comments
Post a Comment